While awake early this Monday morning (it's currently 6:21a.m.), I thought to myself, "I should post on my blog." Side note: "thought to myself" is a really silly phrase--who else would you think to? Well, actually, I thought, "I should post on my blog--I haven't done that in a while. I better post soon or people might be disappointed! They expect me to write something! I have to think of something to write about!"
So as I walked around the house, getting this and that ready for Jeremy, I was trying to come up with an idea--any idea--to write about so that I didn't disappoint any of my faithful readers. Then (why yes, I am chronicling my whole morning via my thoughts--thanks for noticing!) I thought, "That's silly! I'm my own person!" And--no offense to all of you lovely people--but, I don't need you.
Now, I don't mean this in an angry way, like we just had an argument and I'm determined to do things for myself, so I storm off yelling,
"I DON'T NEED YOU!"
Or in a way to put you off or tear you down,
"I don't need you..."
Or in an, "Oops. Sorry, I called for the wrong person,"
"I don't need you."
But rather in an I-don't-need-your-validation-to-know-who-I-am-or-to-be-a-"good"-person kind of way. Furthermore, whether or not I post on my blog in no way dictates whether or not I am a "good" person. My dignity as a human being and my role as a daughter of God determines that.
This understanding of dignity and worth is something that I think has been lost, at least in my generation it has (though I imagine it's happened before in history and/or in generations prior to mine). Society tells us to be the best person we can be--in and of itself, not a bad message. The problem is in what qualifies us as best: we are the best we can be if we make the most money, have the best job, have the nicest car, buy clothes from the best stores, etc. etc. In a nutshell, we are the best person we can be if we have achieved and acquired certain things--simply being ourselves is not enough. I was reading an article yesterday that a friend posted on Facebook. It was not only sad to read, but it was also a commentary on our society as a whole. I enjoy numbers, data, and the conclusions you can draw from them, but living according to a 'numerical representation of self-worth' can only lead to self-deprication, lower self-esteem, and a misunderstanding of self-worth. But like the author said, it's not so much about the numbers, it's the value they (we) place in the numbers.
Personally, I don't care how many people I'm friends with on Facebook, or if Jeremy's picture of Baby G has more "likes" than my picture of Baby G, or if Jeremy's blog has more followers or page views than mine. But, I do care that I may not live up to your expectations. I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) need to remind myself, in instances like this morning, that
I don't need you,
and that the "expectations" I'm not living up to are not your expectations, but the expectations that I have decided you have for me (nice of me to decide that, right?). And above all, even if they were your actual expectations, whether or not I live up to them doesn't matter. I am a wife, a mother, a daughter of my wonderful parents, and ultimately a daughter of God. Therein lies my dignity; Therein lies my worth. So, today I will embrace my dignity and know my worth, and tomorrow I will remind myself again:
You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother’s womb. I praise you, because I am wonderfully made; wonderful are your works!
~ Psalm 139:13-14
And, just in case you forget, in the words of L'Oreal Kids,
...You're worth it, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment