Saturday, May 11, 2013

(Almost) The Day I Became a Mom


So, in the spirit of Mother's Day, I thought I'd share the story of Baby G's birth (a.k.a. the day I became a mommy--outside of the womb, that is). 

I had a relatively easy pregnancy, I think.  I had morning sickness in the first trimester, but mostly just nausea.  I had a UTI somewhere around the start of the 2nd trimester, and then it was smooth sailing until around 33 weeks when I thought my water broke (the first time), and then 37 weeks when Baby G decided to stop moving for 24+ hours...  Thankfully, he was fine and perked up once I got attached to the monitors.  I had no other issues until 39 weeks.

Baby G was due on January 11th, but everyone kept telling us he was coming early.  He dropped at around 35 weeks, and I could practically feel him getting lower by the day.  At each appointment after 36 weeks, they checked me, and I'd progressed more and more each time.  At our 38 week appointment, my midwife commented, "I'd bet you don't make it to the 11th."  She mentioned I may have a baby by the New Year!  But, almost in the same breath, she said she's not a betting person, and even moreso would never bet on a pregnant woman, because she's sure to make a liar out of you. 

Well, a liar out of her I did make. 

On New Year's Eve, my friend texted to let me know that her water had broken and she was being admitted to the hospital.  Her baby was due the same day as Baby G, so Jeremy and I spent the rest of the day encouraging Baby G to make his appearance as well.  We went for two walks, I ate two kiwis, and I had some cinnamon almonds.  Jeremy talked to my belly constantly, cheering Baby G on with phrases like, "Don't let your friend beat you!" and "There's still time!" and joked about getting the 2012 child tax credit if he made it before midnight. 

The clock struck midnight and still no labor (but Baby G's little friend made it into the world for the New Year!).  We stayed up a little later, and I secretly hoped that somehow I would have the world's fastest and easiest labor and have the first birth in 2013...  Haha.  We went to bed and the next three days were rather uneventful. 

On Friday, I thought for sure we were going to have a baby.  I thought (for the second time) that my water had broken.  I was sure of it this time!  We went to the hospital and found out (for the second time) that my water had NOT broken, and (for the second time) got sent home.

But this time, we were sent with a caveat.  I was sentenced to bed rest because my blood pressure was in the mid-high range.  Not yet a concern, but something to keep and eye on.  I laid on the couch all day Saturday, watching TV and napping on and off. 

Sunday morning we got up and went to Mass.  I decided that Mass didn't count as far as bed rest was concerned, and that I'd just lay back down when I got home.  Well, about halfway through Mass, I felt like I was going to pass out--you know, dizzy, nauseous, blurry vision, those little white/silvery dots in your eyes--the whole shebang (p.s. I never knew how to spell that word before.  Thanks spellcheck!).  I made it through Mass, ate a bagel, and took a nap.  I woke up, still feeling the same way, so we made the trek to the hospital where my blood pressure had gone up (though still not dangerous), but since I had already progressed pretty well--minus having contractions--and I was more than 39 weeks along, I was admitted.

I was going to have a baby by breakfast!

Stay tuned for "The Day I Became a Mom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment