Well, you all assumed, I'm sure, that since I posted (Almost) the Day I Became a Mom on the day before Mother's Day, that I would post The Day I Became a Mom on Mother's Day. And indeed, that was my plan. However, my Mother's Day gift prevented me from doing so. My gift was free--well, actually, not really--and lasted longer than some flowers I've had in my life, so that's nice, right?
Not so much.
My gift was a terrible virus that had me at home in bed all week with fever, chills, achiness, nausea, headaches, fatigue, and heat rash. Don't you wish you got such a great gift, too?
Saturday, I felt achy, but I thought it was just from using a different baby carrier than I usually used (my K'tan was in the wash--super sad times). I also had a headache, but took a nap and it went away. So, we went to a friend's for dinner and had a great time. We planned to meet up at the beach the next day.
On the way home, I started to feel awful and took my temperature. 100.8. I slept in on Sunday but had an even higher temperature when I got up. Instead of the beach, we went to Urgent Care. I had a chest X-ray, and they tested for the Flu, Pneumonia, and a UTI. All tests came back negative, so on I went to the Emergency Room. By the time they checked me in, my fever was up to 102.9. I think it's the highest fever I've had since at least High School, probably even longer ago than that. They did some blood work and I got fluids and some nausea medicine and felt considerably better. They sent me home and my fever was back down to 100.something. My fever is going down, I thought. 24-hour virus, I thought. I'll be better in the morning, I thought...
Fast forward three days. My fever is still over 102, I'm still nauseous, though not nearly as nauseous as before, and carrying Baby G from the living room to the changing table and then to the bathtub was enough to incapacitate me for more than an hour. And I now have a stuffy nose, a sore throat, and a persistent, hacking cough. Thank goodness Jeremy stayed home with me all three days, and thank goodness his mom came up to care for Baby G on Wednesday (and to find a place to live--they're moving here in two weeks!). I went back to the Doctor on Thursday where they did some more blood work and another chest X-ray and prescribed me antibiotics because, lo and behold, I had gotten an infection ON TOP of having the virus! Who does that?!
So I finally made it to Friday and woke up with a temperature of 98.8. I was almost normal!!! I even had a phone meeting! I think all meetings should be held in bed with juice and trail mix. It would make the world a better place.
But really, I'm finally doing much better. Jeremy was a saint and took care of all three of us, all the laundry, dishes, and housework, and even went to work two days this week (one of those days was Water Day!!! Crazy Man!), so today was the first time I put any dishes in the dishwasher in over a week. It was a momentous occasion, haha.
Right now, Jeremy and baby boy are napping, and I'm watching Raiders of the Lost Ark on some TV channel, even though I'm pretty sure we own it on DVD and I could be watching it without commercials. Oh well. Maybe I'll get up and put it in. Maybe not.
Oh, and if you read Jeremy's Mother's Day post, you already saw Baby G's sweet gift to me, but if not, you can look at it here and revel in its cuteness while I get around to blogging about The Day I Became a Mom which will eventually surface. I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment